Gortmore, which was the original name, was designed in 1860 for a special client by the architect John Skipton Mulvaney. It was almost ten years before it was completed (ICA 43). It wasn't until 1897 that the conservatory itself was built. Since then the house has had many owners and in 1944 was taken over as a Carmelite friary and to this day still is home to the Carmelites.
This project was a restoration project and was carried out in partnership with our brothers company Sheridan Stained Glass. It included the following scope of works:
- Supply and erection of scaffolding around building
- Removal of slates of all adjoining roofs connected to conservatory
- Fit all new flashings into internal gutters
- Replace any decaying timber
- Replace lead valleys
- Re-slate pitched roofs
- Re-instate lead roll top tips.
- All glass work was created and installed by Sheridan Stained Glass